StartupShow #4: How To Write An Effective Business Plan In One Week

Writing a business plan can be a daunting task. I’ve seen too many entrepreneurs lock themselves in a room only to develop a document that is too long, too complex, and not clear.

Below, Aaron and I discuss the components of an effective business plan that can be completed in one week. We based part of our show off this article where you can find an partial outline of what we discuss.

Remember these key learning points:

• A business plan is for the person who is writing it.
  • It should be between 10-15 pages.
  • It should include a cover and table of contents
  • Quality graphics, charts, and tables will help drive clarity

Have you ever written a business plan? How did it go? What did you learn from it? Let me know in the comments below.

Comments

1. Manal Saedan says:

thank you for this amazing program. I always have a problem with the financial part!

2. Tarah Avery says:

Was there a certain program that Aaron uses to track their yearly red/green outcome for revenues?

3. I loved this! Like with most of your information I have to have a pad and paper with me when I read or watch what you post. The inspiration is much like a wildfire, leading sometimes in the most unexpected places. Thank you for posting this.

4. Mike Van Winkle says:

Great information and council on putting together the Plan! ?: What would be a reasonable time budget for completing the entire first version of the business plan? My original expectation was based on Dale’s outline of one module per month but I am running out of month in Nov. and my plan is not complete. Should I move on to module three while continuing to work on the Plan or complete the Plan and then move to Mod. 3? Thanks for your thoughts and help? PS: I took your Plan outline and pasted it into a Word Doc. and formatted it so I could work each section and sub-section efficiently. Would you like me to send you the Doc. so that maybe other Campers could down load and be able to kickstart their Business Plan writing. Thanks, Dale and team for all you do for us Campers out here!

5. This startup show helped me tremendously. It gave me so much clarity as far as the need for a clear and concise business plan. You guys rock!!!!

6. Sonia Adams says:

This article and show definitely took away the apprehension I was feeling about writing a business plan. Thanks!

7. Michael Murphy says:

Great outline for a plan,

I like the idea if sticking to 15 pages with the core business values,

Regards

Michael

8. Jesse Nelson says:

I like the outline and am looking forward to next months mudules.

Thanks Dale!