How To Start A Million Dollar Clothing Line With Jeff Sheldon of Ugmonk

Meet the brains behind the design-driven lifestyle brand Ugmonk. Jeff, who has been in business for over 6 years now, is selling thousands of products per month and building a cult-like following around his company.

But Ugmonk is different than most clothing brands. Instead of graphics being designed from various artists, all Ugmonk items are designed personally by Jeff. Everything from his handcrafted wooden ampersands and leather wallets to his simplistic t-shirts all have the Sheldon touch.

ugmonk-3

Furthermore, Jeff is a true creative who is highly respected in the design world. He’s been featured on 99u, SwissMiss, How Magazine, and one of my favorite sites, The Great Discontent.

In today’s episode, Jeff and I discuss what it takes to launch a profitable lifestyle brand and the lessons Jeff has learned along the way.

In This Podcast You’ll Learn:

• Jeff’s Accidental Business Success Story
  • How Quality Design Is Measured
  • What It Takes To Become A Better Designer Even If You’re Not An Artist
  • The 2-3 Traits Of Successful Creatives

ugmonk-1

If you’d like to track Jeff’s journey, you can follow him here on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.

Learn More About Jeff & Ugmonk In The Video Below

What stood out about Jeff’s interview? Do you want to start a clothing line? Tell me about it in the comments below.

Comments

1. Thank you for the podcast. It’s great to hear from someone who kept it really small. Just discovered you via the Ugmonk website. I’ve added your podcasts and will be listening to a bunch now.

You mentioned you know he sells thousands of items a day (or a month – I can’t recall), it would have been great to hear more about the money side of things: does he drive sales only though email and during the special anniversary launches? How did he get the profit margin right? Manufacturing is such a tough game and it hards to make money because of the costs involved. Does he have a target of how many people he has to sell to each month or year to keep the business going? Just some questions I can help but think of.

Again thank you for the great podcasts!

• Thanks Camila! Good feedback. Glad you enjoyed the interview.

2. Elisha says:

The how and why of ending up at this website and then navigating through and seeing this just confirms the events of my life within this past year and up to today. Synchronicities are presenting themselves and I’m making sure to be fully aware of them. This is definitely one of them. I asked, and I received. Thanks Dale, you complete stranger you, for this site and doing what inspires you because it has inspired and comforted me. This comment wont really make sense to anyone but I felt the need to tell someone, shout it out, or just simply type it immediately because I’m bursting with a newfound excitement! Thanks again 🙂

• Haha you’re always welcome to shout awesome things here. 😉

3. Doris Sims says:

Surfing Pinterest website and came across your ad – Start million dollar clothing line. How ironic because I have been sewing and designing clothes for many years. Retired from the 9 to 5 full time work arena, this July 2015 will be 4 years. As a senior citizen on a fixed income would like to put this design on the market and watch it blossom. Enjoyed the video. Thank you for sharing.

Respectfully,
    Doris

• Love hearing how much you enjoyed the video, Doris. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

4. Thank you both for taking the time to do this podcast. It was really encouraging. Great advice.

5. Just wanted to thank both Dale and Jeff for sharing this conversation! I am in the midst of finally launching my own creative business that is very much reflective of what Jeff has done. It is so refreshing to hear about Jeff’s story because it affirms my own; to design and be creative purely because it is something I love to do. It makes me come alive!

Making money or keeping up with trends isn’t a motivating factor for and it doesn’t seem for Jeff either. Passion, honesty, transparency, and genuine creativity, I think, speak for themselves.

Inspired by you both!

Cheers,

Josh

• So awesome! We’re stoked to hear the way it impacted you. 🙂

6. Love how Jeff doesn’t follow the traditional model….he finds what works for him. Like the fact that he is still selling some for the same tees from when he first started. And I love how he keeps everything personal with the customers.

• Isn’t he awesome? 🙂 So much to learn from him for sure.

7. Judith Hoover says:

There was so much that stood out in this interview. I want to start a clothing line and along the way I have had many starts and stops. In fashion there is a lot of emphasis on seasonal collections and churning out something new exciting, trend spotting, and forecasting. I really appreciated his perspective on keeping design and crafting in house. I make handmade dresses. Prior to listening to this podcast, I was deeply concerned that my passion and love of making dresses may not translate to a good business idea. I have no desire to send the pattern making, grading, fabric cutting, sample making, or garment production to a manufacturer. The love of being a dressmaker, at least for me, is having my hands and pouring my love out onto each step of the process. I am rambling now, but this was very inspiring and reassuring! Thank you!