How To Start A Charity That Changes The World With Scott Harrison

In 2004, Scott left the streets of New York City for the shores of West Africa. He’d made a living for years in the big Apple promoting top nightclubs and fashion events.

scott-harrison-october-issue-1940x900_30176

Desperately unhappy, living with selfish motives and an arrogant attitude he needed a change. Faced with spiritual and moral bankruptcy, He wanted to see what the opposite of his life would look like.

Scott Harrison is now the Founder and CEO of Charity Water a non profit who builds clean water wells in the developing world. Scott’s led the way in raising over $160 million in donations in just eight years. He’s a keynote speaker, and had been featured in every major business magazine and news network including the cover of Inc. Magazine this past Summer.

In this podcast you’ll learn:

• How to stand out and reinvent an industry
  • How to develop a culture of integrity
  • Leadership that convey’s passion and vision
  • How an organization can integrate generosity and cause

Have you ever thought about starting a charity? What are you passionate about? Let me know in the comments below.

Comments

1. Alika Westfield says:

Hello Scott,
    Since my eighteen year old son past away suddenly. I have an urge to start a charity to help other young teens that have difficulty getting a job or help with new skills. Any ideas you have in helping me with my dream.
    Kind regards Alika

• Emily says:

Hi Alika,
      So very sorry to hear about your son. It would be a wonderful thing to start a charity in honor of him. Scott won’t see your comments here on this podcast post, but if you contact him directly on his website, you may hear from him! Best of luck, and let us here at StartupCamp know if we can do anything to equip you with that dream as well.
      Best,
      Emily Savage
      CPO at StartupCamp.Com

2. Terra Cale says:

I would like to start a charity that help homeless women with children.

3. Bala says:

One of my passion is to form a team called H20(helping hand organisation) .team motto is to help people or serve the people. I need a proper guide to fulfill my passion

4. We started a youth led non profit with a mission of supporting local families who are battling childhood cancer (no local pediatric oncology facilities in most communities cause crazy logistical and financial challenges) and igniting the “Social Entreprenuer Gene” in the next generation of leaders.
    We leverage the strong social networks of youth sports to affect the community. It’s been an awesome experience!

5. Hi,

I am an American living abroad, I have been doing charity in the Philippines for over 10 years. I started with no background or experience in running a chartiy. This is something I believe in and have created my Logo to express that.
    “Wings Of Change, be part of the change”. I think it takes a village to change a village and that is my mission. I registered my non-profit charity more than a year ago, but have been doing the work for 10 years.

I feel I have to think big, dream big to make lasting change and I need to find those people that can support me in accomplishing this goal. If you look at my website although it has not been updated in a while, we have taken 12 very poor and broken families consisting of aproximatley 100 people out of poverty and set them up in small business’s through micro loans, we monitor them, stay with them all the way through. We send over 40 children to school and this year will be significantly higher. We try to partner with local government to tap into their free programs
    and living on an old U.S base have connected with military to work with us in helping communities through joint projects.
    My next goal is to create a working self sustaining Village that will be a model for others to copy. I need extra support, advice to take it to the next level. Please let me know how you can help.
    Lynn

6. Shannon McSwain says:

I started a non-profit ministry called Extending Grace for single moms, to help with utilities, food, etc.
    We have done pretty good, but would like to learn how to generate more partners.

7. Kimberly Leavers says:

I want to start a charity that will build rooms for children and military with long term illnesses and disabilities. I want to bring a place these kids and vets can go to escape, forget they are sick or disabled for just a little while. Provide them with the equipment they will need to make their lives easier.

8. Jennifer says:

I want to start a charity for autism research and autism families like mine. But I don’t know where/how to start?! Any tips?

• My Startupcamp program is PERFECT for you Jennifer! Go to http://www.startupcamp.com to learn about it. This is my 100% best suggestion and I am positive the program will equip you to start your own business, because it was designed for people just like you. 🙂 Hope to see you there!

9. Kurt bingham says:

My dream ever since I was young was to start something that would help others. I remember watching a video about poverty when I was eight years old and saying to my mum, ” Why cant we just take planes over to Africa and bring them all to Australia.”
    Scott and you Dale have been some of my biggest inspirations in the past couple of years. Im actually applying for an internship for charity:water so I can build my craft and hopefully come out of that experience ready to start an organisation like charity: water and Sevenly.

Thank you so much Dale for opening up the doors to such great content and believing in people to reach their full potential.

• Thanks Kurt. Glad we could help. And more glad you’re part of the camp community.

10. Iyanuolu says:

I never thought about starting a charity per say but I feel like its my purpose to help people see the value in themselves and sincerely love themselves regardless of what other people may deem as limitations. I tend to be labeled the “black sheep” in almost every setting I am involved in. I want others to have the confidence to make “wrong” right in every aspect of their life.

• Being the “black sheep” is probably the best thing that could have happened to you. You are so obviously different which means there are big things you will do with your life. So great!

11. Dewitt Robinson says:

I want to help students gain greater access to funding to pay for their college tuition. There are many crowdfunding platforms available. However, I have not discovered a platform exclusively for this target audience with strategic college partnerships.

• Great idea. I just wrote an article under the leadership category on the burden of student loans. Keep it up man!