Overcoming Doubt And Finding Your Calling With Steven Furtick

This interview is off-the-charts powerful.
The feeling of being unqualified to launch a business, start a non-profit, or chase a dream is common. But it can be a dangerous place. In this episode Steven Furtick and I close the gap between weaknesses and dreams.

Steven Furtick is a New York Times Bestselling Author and the Lead Pastor of one of the largest churches in America. His new book Unqualified dives deep on helping people realize the power of not feeling ready.

Powerful Quotes From This Episode

• Do you remember who you were before the world told you who you should be?
  • God can’t bless who you pretend to be. Our calling is often found in the journey of becoming comfortable with who we are, not who we think we should be.
  • Feeling unqualified isn’t the problem, it’s your relationship with that feeling.
  • If you don’t feel intimidated from time to time, you might not have a vision worth pursuing.
  • We must look to our past to have the faith to push toward our future.
  • If I changed anything, it would change everything, so I wouldn’t change anything.
  • The internet can make 3 critics feel like 3,000. But in reality, it’s a few people with too much time on their hands.

What did you get out of today’s lesson? Anything that hit hard? Let me know in the comments below.

Comments

1. Andrea Ostrich says:

Hi Dale & Steven!
    Great podcast! I feel like a lot of the points you both brought up really changed my thought process and helped me to dig deep within my own mind.
    Far too often I am too hard on myself in the tasks that I take on and always judge myself harshly about whether the completed project is good enough or not. I need to learn to be easy on myself because we’re all our own worst critics right.
    When I have someone tell me something negative that they thought about me, I have a tendency to let it effect me and start to think that way about myself at times. It really is a schizophrenic mental battle that you have within yourself that is a very true point you brought up Steven. What I need to realize is that I know who I am and what I’m capable of accomplishing and I need to not let other peoples negative comments effect me like that. But instead turn the negative into something positive to help me to grow as an individual. That point in this podcast really hit hard with me and made me realize that it’s okay to be second, or it’s okay to be human. We’re all flawed and need to accept those flaws and embrace who we are. I really love the quote too Dale: Do you remember who you were before the world told you who you should be? Thanks you guys for the inspiring podcast! πŸ™‚

• Ben Sturgill says:

Andrea, you hit the nail on the head, girl! So glad you’ve gleaned so much from this episode. We have another article coming out soon that is on this topic as well. Super insightful and from one of our female writers. The two of your could probably echo a lot of each other’s thoughts and growing experiences on this topic. Are you subscribed to our weekly content emails? If not, sign up so you see that article when it goes out!

2. Dylan Dowell-Ellis says:

Great podcast! One to be remembered! Love the quote “Remember who you are, before the world tells you who you are”.

I could carry on & on, but will keep it short!

• Ben Sturgill says:

So glad you liked it Dylan. You pulled an important and powerful trust from it about remembering who you are. I hope that truth serves and guides you well.

3. Matt Risner says:

A great show! The section when Steven talked about limitations being your most powerful context for creating something great and his example really nailed it for me. I struggle with confidence and I really appreciated hearing about that. Thanks Dale!

• Ben Sturgill says:

So glad you liked it Matt. We have all struggled with lacking the confidence we need to do something. So know you’re not alone. Keep pushing forward!

4. Barbara says:

Been meaning to listen to this for some time, glad i finally got to it. i always will listen through the podcast knowing well to look forward to the quotes, book, and back-in-time question. Especially loved these quotes. As a serial procrastinator, i am getting myself the book “the war of art.” Thanks Dale and Steven.

5. Trevor Allen says:

Listening to this for the Startup Camp module 1. It was great and refreshing to hear. I think it is perfect for the module 1 material to help get your mindset in the right place when kicking off this adventure.

• Dale Partridge says:

I agree πŸ˜‰ So glad you think so Trevor!

6. April Nicolas says:

This was so full of golden nuggets both in my personal & business life. It is such a blessing for me to hear men talk openly with both the strengths and weakness of the journey of following our calling. Thank you both for sharing your experience, strength and hope. I appreciate it immensely.

• Dale Partridge says:

Wow, thank you so much for the kind words April. So happy to hear you enjoyed it.

7. Erica Payne says:

This episode was super encouraging!
    I remember when I was working as a cosmetologist. I would get tons of good reviews and one bad review. That one bad review made me feel like the sky was falling. Upon further examination, the girl who left me that review was my competition. Obviously I was a threat to her business and it immediately told me that I was doing something right.

8. Evelyn Torres says:

Really enjoyed this podcast…made me feel right at home; speaking my kind of language. If I could walk away with anything from this discussion it would be to continue the journey despite the nay Sayers I meet along the way. Personally it will be a challenge but I will now keep my thoughts on target verses getting easily side tracked that will avoid further delays.

9. Just wrote a blog post inspired by this Podcast. I loved every second of it and typed notes to myself as often as I could. Thanks for the inspiration!

• That’s awesome, Ashley! Feel free to share that blog post here if you wish!

10. Anna Sue-See says:

very powerful! a great first podcast to listen to and very timely for me to hear πŸ™‚
    thanks Dale your stuff is boss!

11. Ashley Lippincott says:

Holy cow what an amazing message! Everything was very touching and empowering but I have to say that the last thing Steven said made a lot of impact on me…The blessing and the battle weigh the same, don’t go after a blessing if you not willing to face the battle that comes with it. WOW! That actually answered a lot of questions for me!! Thank you Dale for making these available, truly life changing…so I’ll also take a second to say YOU ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE, you are HUGE BLESSING and God is using you!!! Don’t stop or become discouraged, keep being YOU!!!!

12. Dawn and Shaun Goodsell says:

Thank you so so much Dale! What a great interview!! You and Pastor Steven are filled with so much widsom and are so generous to share with us!

We are blessed to go to Elevation Church and have Steven Furtick as our Pastor…such a gift to have this right in our backyard!

I’m so grateful for the great work you started with Sevenly…I remember when I first found our about it…I fell in love with your company and I sport several t-shirts I have purchased over the years!

Here is a video Pastor Steven did a few years ago called Do It Again which hits home on this very topic: https://youtu.be/o6tyfLxB5gw
    It is my alarm every morning!! Enjoy

Dawn

• This is awesome, Dawn! I love Steven and working with him is like a million breaths of fresh air. I am so glad you enjoyed our conversation!

13. Michael Bair says:

Loved the section about internet feedback. As I’ve grown in my career, the ability to discern valuable and valid feedback has become more and more clear. Thanks Dale!

• Feedback is so essential Michael – I hope people continue to freely give it to you!

14. Kathy McCarthy says:

Wonderful interview, Dale! I am just finishing up Module #1 of Start Up Camp and am SO thrilled to have found you! I am so glad you’re spending time helping us deal with our interior world of doubts, fears and weaknesses. I loved Steven’s point about our limitations being our greatest asset. Powerful point. Lots of great information! Thank you!!

15. Robin says:

Not only was this podcast spoken it also offered many great word pictures. Enjoyed it very much. I’m inspired to become the best ME possible! Thanks for the “Powerful Quote” list. It is full of wonderful things to speak into my life.

16. Kelby says:

This is an excellent podcast for student who just graduated! I am currently 23 and just graduated from college. As you get older, it gets harder and harder to measure successes and I struggle with this a lot. I love how you say the process of change is messy and has no end date. I really related with your discussion on destination addiction and how readiness is not something you may ever reach if you continually strive to accomplish more. It is important to notice major bench marks in ones life even if its not as obvious as getting a grade or a certificate saying you graduated. Thank you! Keep up the great work. I am addicted to listening to these podcasts

17. Elizabeth Patrick says:

This is so true! I just shared it with my family. Such a profound quote πŸ™‚ Thanks!

18. Heather Andres says:

Thanks for that! That was timely, relevant and loaded with awesome nuggets of wisdom. I found myself smiling and nodding a lot, because I go about life feeling generally unqualified for a large portion of it. It never occured to me that a maintaining a healthy relationship with that state was a responsible thing. Lots of food for thought. Also, I have to say, that Leonard Cohen quote got me right in the tear ducts. That went straight down on paper! Great podcast.

19. Marlyne Castano says:

OMG!!! When he explained that his schedule revolves around what draw people in the first place and has not compromised that time because the product that bought the people would get compromised, but in the middle of that he still follows up with people. Also when he said “The process doesn’t come with a definitive end date.” Really hard for me to swallow because I am very structured and I feel like I need to schedule everything, and this I can’t, I just need to live through it.

20. So inspiring, encouraging and inciteful. I’ll be re-listening to this to make those nuggets of wisdom anchors of action.

21. Pam Aubrey says:

Wow, this was so timely and powerful. I love watching Pastor Steven online; his sermons have changed my life. But this was amazing to hear him speak to some issues that I have been struggling with for some time in my personal life in regards to people who have spent years criticizing me and attempting to defeat my efforts to move forward and pursue my dreams. I am so blessed to have heard this conversation today. I loved the reminder that the process and outcome is bigger than me and beyond me, because it’s so easy for me to lose sight of that! The seed is in the soil, has been, and might be for a while, but I’m finally coming to peace with that. Can’t wait to see what God has in store, with all the successes AND frustrations! Thank you for this podcast!

22. What a great and timely message to hear. It is nice to hear successful people being real and sharing your experience, which speaks directly to the struggles I have been having — thanks for this great podcast and bringing hope/encouragement to keep on going!

A few of the things that resonated most with me:

β€’ Don’t judge yourself according to someone else’s capacity.
    β€’ Never judge a picture by the piece + Exercising belief in something at work that is larger than us
    β€’ The feeling that you don’t matter is always there (nice that I am not alone in that)
    β€’ Our dreams are often not about us, that are about other people

23. Emma Brauer says:

After prayer I accepted a friend request from someone today which led me to you which answered my question! Feeling isn’t the same as being a certain way, I’m going to soldier ahead with my plan

24. Amparo says:

This is just what I needed to hear. With a new position, doubt and intimidation can be overwhelming, this really helped get my perspective back! Thank you!

25. Ebony Johnson says:

You guys sparked a whole conversation with my husband about faith. I enjoyed the analogy about David and Goliath. I have met so many people that have looked at what they perceive as weaknesses; the main one being a working family with two children. I am often asked WHY I would want to start a business and questioned if I am a good mother for wanting to do this by some of my family and friends. I loved when you said that having faith is illustrated as a man rowing forward, facing the back of the boat. We know we can move forward because of how far we have come. I will be reading The Art of War, because any man that is fanatical enough to put the whole book over his whole wall is definitely an expert on commitment. I wasn’t sure until Steve shared that information with us. Thanks for this information Dave!

26. I just recently started following you on Instagram (don’t remember how I landed there) and this is the first podcast I listen. Very, very inspirational and something I needed just now – thanks!

27. Wow, this is worth listening to many times to get all of the golden nuggets. I would even love to discuss this live with a group. Thanks so much!

28. Janice says:

My goodness! A friend shared this with me after I got a hateful Facebook message today. I’ve heard Steven many times online but hadn’t heard this one & I was just hoop”n and a hollar’n while cooking dinner tonight! What a strong & powerful message! I will be passing this into my team, friends and families! I will be using it for trainings! God is Good! I’m so thankful you both fought for the vision God placed in your hearts! Prayers and Blessings to you BOTH

29. Lauren Bennett says:

Thank you for being obedient to your calling. I came here to listen to my favorite Pastor but was so touched by your brave heart and transparent story of courage to fulfilling your purpose. Looking forward to listening to more of your podcasts and hearing more of your powerful impact.

30. Aileen says:

Wow thank you for this, I am so encouraged by this. I got the nerve to quit my job and move from New York to Paris for a few months to clear my head but instead I’ve been filling it with doubt for the past two weeks. I’m eternally grateful!

31. Loved this so much! I’m in the beginning stages of a startup and y’all touched on so many things I’m feeling and dealing with. Thanks to the both of you for the encouragement!

32. Ellen says:

great podcast from an amazing and empowering soul
    thanks for putting the pieces together
    to see the picture!

God bless

33. France Day says:

This was an amazing interview. I loved how it intertwined God and every aspect of our lives.

34. I listened to this podcast on the morning of March 22nd – it’s HOLY WEEK!
    The comment was made by Furtick that our blessings and battles weigh the same. Be willing to fight the battle
    that brings the blessings. It was perfect timing after I fought an emotional battle yesterday with lots of little things
    on my heart and mind as God continues to pour mercy out on me as a walk in obedience.

Thank you for taking the time to do this podcast and pouring into others. It is much appreciated!
    Btw, I lead an organization of 200 women so I will be sharing this audio to listen to ASAP!

Mary Ann

35. DONNA MUTHEU says:

‘…….IT IS THROUGH THE CRACK THAT LIGHT GETS IN…..’
    this sums up everything!! It is in my weakness, brokeness, that I’m made strong.
    Deep Insights.
    all the way from Nairobi, Kenya

36. Amanda says:

Loved your Podcast! Loved your questions for Steve and loved hearing about your success story and the impact your charity had on those girls. Taking this with me… “Do you remember who you were before the world told u who u should be.” Thanks! God bless!
    Sincerely,
    Amanda unqualified

37. Allison Williams says:

What a great combination! I go to both you and Steven Furtick separately for guidance in my professional and spiritual life, and having you two collaborate was encouraging to say the least. I don’t normally comment online, but since you both mentioned the lack of positive feedback – here I am πŸ™‚ THANK YOU for being vulnerable thought leaders, influencers, and role models. Your impact far exceeds anything you can imagine. God bless!

38. Brandon Lane says:

I really needed to hear this at the present time. I can’t thank you guys enough for sub an amazing interview! Steven Furtick really is wise beyond his years! Your creative layout of the show was spot on Dale!! Hoping to help others just a fraction of why you guys have already done. Such an amazing gem to find and listen to!!!!! God Bless!

39. Man you guys brought the boom. I took a page and a half worth of notes! I love how you both identified with the process component of building or living out a dream/vision. As an entrepreneur, the process is something I have struggled with since the beginning because when you initially say yes and follow the dream, there is little guidance of what the process actually looks like and feels like. I also love the way Pastor Steven used the story of David and how we have to connect our past victories with our current battles. Brilliant! If we fail to do that, we will be paralyzed by fear and won’t do anything. I look forward to catching more podcasts from you. Thank you for following your dream!

40. Earl Caunca says:

Very inspiring! It’s no accident that I saw tgis post in Facebook…. keep helping people across the globe..

Sending love and thanks from the Philippines…..

41. Gilana Telles says:

Dale, this podcast contains so many “gold nuggets of wisdom”, my nugget basket is overflowing! Definitely privileged to have listened to this conversation between two ongoing pioneers of achieving and defining true success!

**Making peace with the process now**

Thank you both greatly!

Sincerely,

Gilana Telles

42. Jane says:

This was awesome …Pastor Steven is just incredible …

43. Kelly says:

I came across this podcast today and it resonated with me on so many levels! After losing my mom to breast cancer in 2013, I’ve been on this mission to help others, chase my dreams, find myself and my calling to help others in life. … So many emotions and feelings like I was meant to do something bigger…but discouraged with where to start, or that I’m “unqualified” to be successful in doing all the things I want to. This podcast gave me hope and renewed my faith in my calling and just like sevenly I think what if didn’t do what I did, or help those I have helped…I know I’m going to get there I just have to embrace the process of getting there and stop with destination addiction you mentioned! Thank you again for lifting my spirits!! It’s just what I needed to hear!

• Sorry to hear about your mother. That’s great that you were able to help chase your dreams and to help others. Thanks Kelly!

44. Awesome, just great πŸ™‚

I am young just starting out and trying to figure out what is what, in between jobs, and in between life decisions.
    Even though I am not at all about Christianity and all that… this talk was amazing and really lifted my spirits πŸ™‚

All the best and keep going!!!

45. Sylvia says:

I absolutely loved this podcast! So many lessons that hit hard, that it’s difficult to choose. Very inspiring!

• Thanks, Sylvia! So many good things in this podcast. Loved it!

46. Lawana says:

Listening on a Saturday morning: Challenged and Blessed!

47. Ferdinand Onandia says:

Very encouraging and very honest! Steven Furtick and all his books has always been very inspirational and has always pushed me to keep pressing forward so this is an extra treat for me. Art of War is definitely a must read, I have it on my phone and I listen to it at least once a year.
    Thanks Dale this is awesome! It sure gives me peace that I am learning from like-minded Godly men.

Blessings!

48. Wow, loved this podcast. I attend Elevation Church in Toronto and have heard Pastor Steven preach about “unqualified” – such a powerful message to make peace with the process.

My favorite quote “the failures don’t become less frequent, they just become more familiar”

Thanks for sharing this Dale!

49. Loved this episode! “Make peace with the process” hit home for me! Thanks for doing what you do! You are a great inspiration for what I am endeavouring to do! Blessings!

• Thanks Jon! Glad you enjoyed it.

• Can you please tell me the titles of the three books that Steven Furtick says he read or is reading please as I would love to purchase them and read as well.