How To Build A Business Around Travel & Adventure With Jedidiah Jenkins

In today’s episode, I open up with a an important statement,

“If you’re more excited about Fridays than you are about Mondays, then it might be time to search for a new work adventure.”

Our guest on this episode is no stranger to adventure. Being raised by two journalists from National Geographic who walked across the country in the 1970’s, his sights have always been set on the outdoors.

full_1369939728natgeo

Professionally, Jedidiah Jenkins came from the non-profit space as one of the founding leaders at Invisible Children. But after 5 years at the organization, he new it was time for change.

In August 28 2013, Jedidiah decided to ride his bike from Florence Oregon to Patagonia. A ride of 10,000 miles that took him 16 months to finish. Thankfully, his fascinating journey was documented via instagram to a rapidly growing audience of tens of thousands of people. His trip has not only enlightened his followers, but changed his professional trajectory. He is now working on developing a new novel “Oregon to Patagonia” which he successfully launched using Kickstarter.

jed-0

Today, you will hear Jedidiah share the inner thoughts of his heart. The desire for travel and the unknown. And most importantly the incredible stories that found him on the road. It’s my belief these lessons will not only help you in life, but also in business.

In Today’s Interview You’ll Learn:

• How to share a dream with people
  • How to beat fear in the beginning of a leap
  • Why travel is important for the human
  • The 3 things that make a vibrant life

More On Jedidiah’s Trip

Follow Jedidiah on Instagram   |   Twitter

There were too many photos with incredible stories to cover but I have gathered a few photos that might provide a glimpse into his journey.

001 002 003 004  006 007 008 009 010 011 012

Comments

1. Laura Marois says:

I so loved this podcast. An inspiration, just what I needed to hear. Could you tell me, who was the author to Jedidiah’s book recommendation- Biography of John Adams?

• Thanks, Laura! Glad you enjoyed it. David McCullough is the author of John Adams.

2. Belltourk says:

Into the wild

3. I haven’t listened to a podcast in quite a while. I someone stumbled upon a pin (from pinterest) for this interview and I’m so glad for that. It’s such a great feeling to hear inspiring people tell their story and have it resonate so much, even though I’m not a huge adventure myself. Can’t wait for Jedidiah’s book.

Thank you for rekindling my interest in podcasts 😉

4. Morgan Mayer says:

I just recently returned home from an adventure in Indonesia and I related to so much of what was discussed. Thank you!

5. Ariel Huskins says:

Finally slowing down enough to listen and learn. I am so inspired by Jedidiah and I think it would serve me well to “live from mountain to mountain” and take life in as he does. Thanks for sharing his incredible story!

6. Alex says:

I’m really looking forward to finishing my read and listen of this story but I had to point out two glaring typos within a matter of a couple paragraphs. “In today’s episode, I open up with a an important statement” … obviously “a” is the culprit. Secondly, “But after 5 years at the organization, he new it was time for change”… “new” is a mistake. It made me chuckle though haha.

Anyways, thanks for making awesome stuff and bringing fascinating people together Dale! I look forward to subscribing to StartupCamp (paid) soon!!

Alex

• Haha thanks Alex! Now you know you don’t have to be a grammar guru to be successful, lucky for me! 😉 Hope to see you at StartupCamp soon, brother.

7. I loved this one. I pretty much spaced out on the way to work just listening to the stories and especially Jedidiah’s description of the Amazon. Before I knew it, I was at work. I love to travel and have been fortunate enough to take many missions trips around the world and photograph those adventures, and this podcast has left me craving my next one… And to figure out how I can invite others along on the journey.

• Mellie says:

This podcast is so incredible. I’ve been wanting to go on a big adventure and actually want to persue creative writing! It was just what I needed to hear, and I will certainly be buying the John Adams book. Jedidiah is such an inspiration by how he has captured a fast paced world and slowed them down by showing them the elements of adventure.

• Hey Mellie! Glad you enjoyed it. It’s one of my favorites too 🙂