How To Cut Out Habits That Hold You Back With Greg Mckeown

Entrepreneurship calls for a season of intentionality that few have experienced. Every decision we make effects our trajectory. Finding balance between family and focus is hard and finding the energy to continue achieving while maintaining the discipline to say no, is even harder.

Today’s guest is the leader on this discipline. He’s the author of the New York Times Bestselling Book Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less.  Greg Mckeown is also a keynote speaker for some small companies like Apple, Facebook, Google, Linkedin, SalesForce, and Twitter. No big deal. But beyond this, Greg is brilliant. His lessons cut through the clutter and offer true solutions to a current world.

greg-mckeown

In today’s lesson we reflect at the consequences our ultra fast world has caused. We discuss both decision and emotional fatigue and how changing our mindset to achieve only what is absolutely essential, becomes critical.

In Our Interview You’ll Learn:

• Why becoming an essentialist is essential for today’s high performance leaders
  • How to stop other people from prioritizing your life
  • How to leverage the power of a delayed yes (genius)
  • The secret of the 90% rule and why you need to use it today

Important Quotes From Our Lesson:

• Remember that if you don’t prioritize your life someone else will.
  • Less = More & More = mediocre
  • Don’t get too busy making a living you forget to make a life
  • The way of the Essentialist means living by design, not by default.

Pick Up A Copy of Essentialism Below

essentialism

Comments

1. This was a great podcast with some very useful info! I have a few thoughts on the discipline part. I attended a seminar with Keith Kochner and he spoke about discipline in a way that made sense to me. His theory is that if you protect your focus, discipline kicks in. I can see this working. If what you want is to start a business or lose 20 lbs or be a calmer parent, you focus on that. By focusing on it you will read up, speak with others, seek out info and surround yourself in the topic. When it is in your sights, not your peripheral, you are focused on it and the discipline kicks in on its own.

2. Thank you for this very insightful interview. I have shared this in a number of spots. About 20 minutes in the idea of “undisciplined pursuit of more” really caught my attending. In my work with people who have excessive clutter, I think this is a HUGE problem since they can’t find stuff, they buy replacement stuff. I really enjoy the quarterly personal off site idea as well, a full 24 hours. 🙂

3. Ebony Johnson says:

Essentialism sparked an epiphany: All my life I have not been crazy. I have literally always been regarded as a weirdo in life because I do not believe in busy work, trivial work practices, unnecessary CLUTTER in general. I think at work I’ve been called the B team; because I believe in coming in and doing preforming my position well but not overextending myself past my discipline capacity. Finally! A expert validation in my way of thinking. Thank you for this podcast, it further grounds me into my mission of vigorously pursuing my dream.

4. Amazing podcast! Thanks, Greg and Dale, for some incredibly practical professional and personal tools and encouragement. Inspiring!

5. Nancy says:

I hope one of the ideas is for people to put away or turn off their cell phones. I find a lot of people in owner run businesses are not focused and are constantly distracted by their phones. if I don’t feel I’m getting good customer service I probably won’t use their services.While I certainly understand the need for cell phones you need to own your phone and not have your phone own you.

6. Awesome supplement to Mod 2 reading to hear the author share his truth. Thank you!

7. Daniel Gonzalez says:

this is truly something that I need to work on. For the longest time I seemed to struggle with saying NO to people. But now that I am seeking to better myself and persue my dreams, I need to change somethings. thanks for this Podcast Dale!

8. Rarely do I come across a podcast that completely blows me away. So many turths in this episode that would help change a lot of peoples lives. Thank you for sharing. I’ll pay it forward on my end.

9. Kevin says:

Hey Dale! Amazing episode! I was looking for more info on the blogging conference but I couldn’t find it on your site. How can I get more information about that?

thank you!

10. berry says:

Dale! Thank you brother for this! I loved his book and am excited to hear what you got out of him! 🙂