How To Build A Cult-Like Following With Johnny Cupcakes

Imagine having a few thousand people who have tattooed your logo on their body. Envision a brand that has hundreds of people camp out at their stores multiple times per year just to get a few products.

Johnny-Earle

It’s been almost 14 years since Johnny Earle launched the infamous Johnny Cupcakes. His brand is now a multi-million dollar, cult-like lifestyle brand.

Johnny now has shops in London, Los Angeles, & four in Massachusetts. Johnny is a creative entrepreneur and has been featured on CNN, Forbes, Inc, Fortune, and the Wall Street Journal. He’s also a keynote Speaker at some of the largest events around the world.

In today’s lesson you will learn:

• The power of first impressions
  • How scarcity can drive sales waves
  • Why details are what drive brand value
  • How entrepreneurs can drive insane customer loyalty

What was your takeaway from this episode? What will you do different now in your business? Let me know in the comments below.

Here’s a little more about Johnny:

Comments

1. Wow, best podcast I’ve heard in over a year! Loved Stephen King’s book “On Writing.” 12 things that differentiate, details details details… So much value in this podcast!

2. Guillermo says:

Thanks for putting this together! Great questions, very useful input! Lots of respect to JC!

3. Great interview Dale! I have followed Johnny Cupcakes for years now and he is one of my idols! There are so many things to learn from Johnny, my favorites are; Attention to detail, relationships with customers, following a theme 110% and how he took the time to travel and spread the word about JC. I have a closet full of johnny cupcakes shirts and even save the special packaging and its true every detail is noticed and makes you feel like you got more then just a tshirt.

4. I see a lot of stuff on a daily basis. This stopped me in my tracks! AMAZING! Need more people out there like this! Dale I would love to connect!

5. So many great take-aways from this episode with Johnny. The full branded experience that he discusses seem to be such a major strength of his business. I also really like his simple take away points such as the bigger the risk, the bigger the reward. As a young artist in a fairly conservative family, his favourite quote also really hits home: Don’t let someone who gave up on their dream talk you out of yours.

Cheers!

6. I love how he explains a store is more than a store, it’s an experience and every detail within the store will play a role on the customers experience. Impressive.

• Yes. Being intentional about every element is critical. Keep it up Lorina 🙂

7. Great interview. My biggest takeaway was his attention to detail.

8. Mario Ramos says:

This podcast was absolutely amazing. I have been a customer of Johnny Cupcakes and enjoyed his Newberry St, Boston, store location. It’s amazing hearing the how and why the store is setup the way it is “The Experience”, and the creative genius behind it. I also really enjoyed your questions and the mapping of your questions, allowing the conversation to come full circle, which is important and usually overlooked. I can’t wait to hear more podcasts from businessmen & women that I either look up to, or their brands! Thanks Dale

• Thanks Mario! Ya Johnny is one of my favorite entrepreneurs. He really gets business in a unique way. Glad you’re following the right people.