5 Hard, Challenging Steps To Becoming A Millionaire

I remember telling my Dad at a young age how I would become a millionaire by 30. He gave me the non-sarcastic, yet mostly skeptical “I bet you will, son.”

dale-partridge

But shockingly, I did.

And while money seemed to be the focus during my early pursuit, it became my furthest concern over the past several years. Interestingly, success has a way of prioritizing what drives us.

But let’s say you’re like me 12 years ago: broke (or at least not wealthy), living in an apartment, and having very little besides a full tank of ambition and a fierce dedication to win. How do you reach your goal? How do make it to the millionaires’ club?

More importantly, how do you do it while keeping a good name, not killing yourself with stress, and still creating a life full of relationships and joy?

Here’s what I’ve learned over the past several years. My advice is not easy or quick, but it’s more likely to work than the sea of get-rich-quick programs that litter the internet.

1. Flip Your Money Motivation Upside Down

By age 25, I was nowhere near a net worth of $1 million. I still had some debt, still lived in an apartment, but I was at least taking a $48,000 salary from my own company. Progress was being made.

And then my heart changed. After asking myself the question, “If Jesus started a company, what would it look like?”. My motivation shifted from financial success to impact success.

I launched Sevenly, a company with a mission to give $7 to a worthy cause for every product we sold. My sights were set on feeding the hungry, rescuing girls caught in sex trafficking, caring for the orphan, and most importantly building a healthy business of love and respect.

Becoming a millionaire wasn’t even on my radar.

In just three years, we had almost 50 employees, $6.5 million in revenue, and had given over $4 million to charities. I wrote a national bestselling book about it called People Over Profit. The takeaway was this:

See money not as the primary goal but as a by-product of helping a million people.

You’ll never become wealthy without helping people. It’s that simple. What massive problem can you get lost in? What human needs are begging for you to solve them?

2. Start Playing The 5x Generosity Game

Wharton professor, Adam Grant proves in his book Give And Take that people who give and give often are more financially successful than those who don’t. But it’s more complex than just being generous. In my experience, you must have something of value to be generous with.

If your goal is to become wealthy, you must surround yourself with wealthy people. The problem is wealthy people don’t need much from anyone. And to be honest, they are on guard from everyone needing something from them.

I quickly learned what successful people truly needed was momentum. Their success was dependent upon their consistent growth, reach, and influence.

But how could I offer this? In 2009, I began acquiring large social media accounts from anyone who would sell them to me. I ran these accounts by posting inspirational content, quotes, and viral images. But it was my audience that many authors, influencers, and business owners needed to further their success. Later that year, I began having a variety of influential individuals offer to pay me to post their book or products or links.

But I didn’t take their money.

Instead, I gave it to them for free and often. Sometimes I would drive 10,000 visitors to an author’s website just because I loved their book. This naturally created the reciprocator effect. And as a result, these people felt slightly indebted to me. In return, they would make introductions to other successful leaders, set me up with companies who would purchase very expensive ad campaigns, and ultimately became close acquaintances of mine.

Generosity is less like an arrow, and more like a boomerang, it comes back to you.

So be generous. But first, create something of value to give. For me, it was an audience. What is it for you?

3. Shift From Making Money To Creating Awesome Stuff

I’ve met too many people who create businesses to make money. And then I’ve met people who create businesses to fuel their passion.

But there is a major difference here. People make things because they want to make money; the more things they make, the more money they make. What they make doesn’t really matter that much to them – they’ll make anything as long as it pays.

The other wants to make money because it allows them to make more things. They want to improve their product. They want to build a movement. The want to create another book, another community, another film. They love what they make, and they see making money as a way to do even more of what they love. They dream of building a company that creates the best products… and money just happens to be the way they can fuel their passions.

While it’s very possible to find a meaningless product that can generate a million dollars, most successful entrepreneurs learn that making money with what you love is more important than make money to make money. I think the great Walt Disney said it best:

We don’t make movies to make money; we make money to make more movies.

4. Spotlight Your Talent And Become A Master

One of my favorite quotes is, “Obsessed is the word lazy people use to describe the dedicated.” And the word obsessed and millionaires go quite well together–almost like a disease you want to catch. Addiction at it’s purest form, yet manageable by its greatest victims.

If you know me well, you’ll learn I am fanatical. Everything I do is at a 10.

For example, earlier today I was walking with a friend who asked me if I had ever got into gaming. My wife quickly replied, “No. Dale was always afraid if he got into gaming it would take too much time away from his life’s priorities.”

It’s true. My extreme dedication has left my 20’s riddled with the footprints of sacrifice and lost experiences. But it’s also the reason our family can enjoy our children, take vacations, and work only when we want to now in our 30’s.

But at the core, I have always been focused on one thing.

Become the best marketing person I know.

It’s this vision that has forced me to read almost 100 books on the topic, to dive deep into design theory, to get beyond talking and generate results, and to understanding what truly makes the human mind work. I think Steve Jobs said it best:

Be so good the world can’t ignore you.

What can you become the best in the world at? What keeps you up at night? What part of your personality is primed to succeed?

If you can harness your ability to focus, fight off discouragement, and press into your gifting eventually you’ll be good. Then you’ll be great. And a few years down the road, you’ll be world-class. And then, probably without even noticing, you’ll also be a millionaire. At least that’s how it worked for me.

5. Most Importantly, Launch Your Dream & Kill The Employee Mentality

It’s very difficult to become a millionaire as an employee. Starting your own business is truly the path of least resistance.

But I can hear your thoughts now, “I don’t know how to start a business.” But neither did I. In the fall of 2013, I shifted my heart from building to teaching. My mission was to share what I’ve learned and to help people create a business and life they love.

After pretty much locking myself in my office for over 160 hours, I came out with StartupCamp. A 12-month coaching course to help aspiring entrepreneurs, bloggers, and dreamers start their own business. A course that would take everything I know about developing ideas and turning them into profitable ventures. Even more, I packaged it up into an easy to understand, beautifully designed, and affordable program. That dream is the website you’re on now.

If you have a business idea and don’t know where to begin, join the thousands of dedicated students chasing their dream here at StartupCamp. It’s not a sales pitch. I don’t need your money. It’s just my way of helping my next million people. You can learn about the whole program in the video below.

Are you doing any of the 5 steps listed above? What was most helpful? Let me know in the comments below.

Citations & References: Dharmesh Shah, June 28th, 2014. Linkedin Article

Join my free workshop. Discover how to successfully start your own business in less than 30 days.

Comments

1. Dale, can you describe how you “acquired large social media accounts from anyone who would sell them to me”? Thank you!

2. Shift the money target upside down…
    The most important is helping and thriving to make a difference in people’s lives

• Joe Kabes says:

Hello Maurice,
      We appreciate your thoughts. We should all try harder to make a diffence in the lives of others and take the focus off of ourselves and serve. Thank you.

3. I definitely liked the last one you mentioned here. Getting out of the employee mentality is the hardest thing to do. It’s like we were all programmed to think that way from the day we are born. Thanks for sharing all this including the lemonade photo!

• Dale Partridge says:

It’s definitely a culture thing, but that’s what its about. Breaking the mentality and going against the grain. 🙂

4. With so many people doing webinars/seminars and upselling their programs I am at a loss as to who I should believe in. What is the best funnel system for sales of products.

5. Interesting article and full of creative ideas. Thank you for sharing the article.

6. Dale, I honestly can’t get enough of your podcast, videos, and articles. I am planning to purchase your book, People Over Profit, very soon. I just recently started my own business blogging. You have provided so much information and inspiration to me. Every time you release a new podcast, I send it to my husband, who is also an entrepreneur (he owns a body shop.) He loves listening while he is working. Thank you for your heart to help others and for your uncompromising principles. Thank you to you and to your wife Veronica for setting an example for other couples.

• That’s rad, Jordan! Thank you SO much for the affirmation. I’m very honored to be a part of the growth process for you. 🙂

7. Really helpful article.I liked it has to work for you to be effective.Thanks for shearing.

8. Chirs says:

Hey Mr. Dale, your posts really bright me in some way. However, I have few questions to ask you. I do love making more money, and right now I’m stuck with either work in college or should I drop of and make a rune for working?. It’s been bugging me a lot lately. I love doing charity works and help peoples in need too, but right now my hands seem tied 🙁

• Thanks for sharing that, Chris! I think you’ll find a lot of the answers you’re looking for in very intentional conversations with trusted members of the community around you. Share with them your feeling of being stuck, your ideas for moving forward, and see what affirmation or direction you get back!

9. Camerin Hatcher says:

I am loving all of your posts. You have God-given wisdom. What a blessing!
    I am planning for a future business, and it’s scary. Law school starts in the fall, and I definitely want to start my own practice in a few years.
    I feel empowered reading your posts and articles!
    Thank you!

10. Shay says:

Dale, I graduated college about 2 years ago now. Ever since I’ve started my “career” with the company I’ve been working for I’ve known something was wrong. Nothing feels right. I know it’s not where I’m supposed to be and my soul has longed for a way out. I hate my job and in return my life. I was fighting back tears during this video. Sounds silly, I know, but I have felt alone and have prayed every day for God to lead me to my purpose. I often see young adults who are still in college and are already making a name for themselves. I pray this will be me and I thank you for this opportunity.

• Thank you for sharing that, Shay. Step out and seek wisdom from trusted people in your life. Share your burdens, ask them the tough questions. You aren’t alone in feeling this way either. SO many sit where you sit, which is also why I wrote the “Find Your Calling” books, because we all need that helpful guide to process what we’re meant to do. 🙂 Keep working through it, Shay! Don’t give up.

11. Good day Dale
    I was introduced to your Facebook page about a two weeks ago. Ever since I’ve been so addicted to your posts, always looking forward to the next one and how it could get me one step further in achieving my dream.
    I’m from South Africa and business is tough but i fully agree with one statement which you reiterate in most of your posts which is “family first”- if you and your spouse is not thinking/working on the same level then success is doomed for failure.
    This is something that I wish I could master already but I believe it is a business on its own.

I love this particular post and hope to hear from you.

Blessings
    L Wakefield

• Luan, I’m glad to have you here! Keep learning and pushing through your barriers. Business will catch up. 🙂

12. Asher Crow says:

First I love the article! Second I have a question I went to college thinking I would have a good job, good start in life, and also just because I wanted too but when I graduated it actually had the opposite affect. Good thing I had a full time job all through college to support myself but my question is what do you do if you really don’t have a passion about anything anymore but want to start a business and want to become successful?

• Find your passion again, Asher! Pray for ideas, ask for dreams again! I think it’s totally possible for you to find new energy and creativity in a brand spankin’ new idea or a revived one you thought was long-ended or forgotten about.

13. Is it possible to do this with a product business. We always feel so tight in the cash-flow circuit. It is something we pray for daily as we struggle along. And it would be a dream to have the time you talk about for family and be able to make a difference in other peoples lives.

• Definitely possible with a product-based business! Absolutely.

14. Lemmy says:

hello! This message was so helpful. For days and months now, I’ve been asking myself questions related to the challenges you focused on here. I have prayed and told God to direct and connect me to solid relationships/informations that would set me to having a great 2017 and beyond. Sitting in my bedroom with my laptop, i went on the net and decided to surf. I got stuck on Jeff Sheldon’s blog, clicked on a link ‘sevenly’ that finally brought me to startupcamp. I teared when i read “My motivation shifted from financial success to impact success.” In a society where everyone is about the rat race, competing against one another and not truly benefiting from each other and living a life that is less purpose driven, we neglect the important things in life and end up building more damages instead of solutions for the next generations.
    Thank you so much for working on yourself and sharing your experiences with the world. It is now a better place for me and all others that have been impacted.

• It means a lot to hear this, Lemmy, and I know that a commitment to solid relationships in 2017 can only bring growth to your life. Keep crushing.

15. Rachel Belgiorno says:

Love this and everything it represents

16. Angella Cook says:

Love the article and love the question “If Jesus started a business”. My husband and I have a heart for ministry and we are involved with local outreaches through our church. We are owners of a small HVAC business and over the years my husband has used his gifts and abilities to bless others as he feels led. We would love to take it up a level and apply your “people over profit” concept. Any ideas for this type of field to apply a mission concept that would build and grow our business so we could be an even greater blessing to our community?

• Thank you so much for sharing that, Angella! No ideas immediately come to mind, but keep hunting them down. You can also email support@startupcamp.com if you ever want to chat about scheduling a consulting call with me and I’d be happy to chat through it with ya!

17. Wow dale! Thanks again for another window into your journey. I know for me this gives me hope to keep pushing toward the goal ahead.

18. You had me with Jesus… Great article and truly an inspiration for my own business 🙂

19. Carol says:

I like the point you make about what are you willing to sacrifice to be a success. You should really focus on that point. Most people aren’t willing to give up something in order to make a better life. it makes me more self aware of my time.

20. lenny says:

thank so much… im 43 years old…i wish its not too late for me and hope i can do it….I’m just starting a business…i’ll try to think as a millioner not an employee

21. Leonardo says:

Sounds interesting.

Not quite at the ripe old age of 27 yet, got a couple of years to go, but I have also achieved most of my “main goals” that I have ever set myself.

decided when I was about 16 at school that I would own my own property at 21 and then a month and a half after turning 21 I got my keys to my new pad! The same day as my last exam at uni, another goal.

I was wondering what my next challenge should be and decided that rather than being a millionair that I would set a target to retire from my 9-5 style job at the ripe old age of 40, I have since considered 50, a realistic and an achievable target if you like. At retirement I would kick back by starting my own small business, which is what my parents, uncles & aunts and Grandparents have done so I have the background for it.

However upon hearing your plan I am now intrigued, go for retirement or a million? decisions decisions.

Just to through a curve ball would you accept success if you won a million on the lottery or premium bonds or something similar?

• Hey, Leonardo! Success means so much less to be when its not tied to really doing something I love and serving people I love! I definitely wouldn’t even attempt to win the lottery in that case 😉 I wish you well in your decision making!

22. Julie says:

Dale, I too am a Christian, and I find myself really feeling guilty because of mindset. You see, I am having a situation in my family life that required me to think of a way to support myself and my kids, so I became certified as a nutritionist. I did so because I was already obsessed with the topic and am involved in the special needs community. So you would think that the whole “helping people” thing would be a slam dunk. But because of my own financial need and the desperation in being able to afford treatments for my own child, I find myself thinking more about my own need for money and not focused on helping others. I haven’t finished getting my business off the ground, but I am very concerned about my own mindset. How can one begin to switch over to focusing on genuinely helping people and not have the motivation be clouded by wanting to be wealthy enough to live the life we want/need. I am not looking for a mansion, but I would love to be able to afford the $600 a visit physician or the supplements that cost a few hundred a month. I feel so ashamed because as a Christ follower, I should not be so self centered. So other than prayer, how does one change the focus? Sometimes I get glimpses of it, but it is nowherre near consistent.

• Hey, Julie! I can honestly state that you are not alone in what you’re going through. Many are experiencing this same tension today! Some don’t even really know it. Thanks for sharing your heart in it. I think the best to see a shift in perspective is to commit to something that calls you to do it. Even if its one workshop that you host, you’ll have a solid moment in which you see both financial and business traction, but you’ll also see that desire to be serving others playing out right before you. That’s a solid anchoring moment in what you feel you’re meant to do that will help draw you away from the fear. Try it out! And start asking your community, the people already placed in your life, questions about it. Don’t walk this alone!

23. Lynn says:

Tired of helping only the private sector, I followed my heart and started my own firm to help communities with their economic development and community planning needs.

24. Joseph says:

Hey Dale, I very much enjoyed reading your post. I have been struggling somewhat with various ideas for a couple years now and truly believe in your outlook focus in how Jesus would choose to approach the matter. I have struggled with where to even start as I really have no capital to begin with. Hopefully the video will provide a spark of inspiration to move forward. Thank you the opportunity to increase in knowledge.

• Yep, beginning is the hardest part. Hope you receive the spark you’re looking for!

25. Thank you for your insight! I had a conversation earlier today about giving 100% of myself to what I love, to earn the money I will need to do more of what I love. Awesome to feel so in alignment! Cheers.

26. Tyler says:

For me, an investment in people has the greatest ROI of all.

27. Tom says:

Hi Dale,

The line around missing out on your 20’s is resonating with me right now. I am a new entrepreneur and a solo founder, I love what i’m doing but question a work life balance and missing out on the best years of my life. Any tips for getting the balance right? Thanks

28. CJ Lawlis says:

I LOVE your idea of working in order to give to a cause, and not just for the money. I can totally see how this would work!
    Thank you for sharing.

29. Dale, just want to say thanks for doing what you do. I’ve learned a lot from you and really enjoy reading your email newsletters.

Take care,
    Todd

30. DeLorese Pearson says:

3 4 and 5 were very helpful and I have already been doing 1 and 2 thank you Dale

31. Alicia D. says:

What to do if you don’t know what your passion is? Does your course address that or ways to discover what will really be that fulfilling thing you can do to benefit others? I’ve been a full-time mom for almost 20 years and put so much into my kids that I may have forgotten what gets me excited!

32. Mellody says:

Dale,
    I found your website from your Facebook .
    I am a teacher that loves to teach young children.
    I want to do what I love as a business . I love mentoring younger teachers. I have mentored college students who were new teachers and mentored assistant teachers who want to become teachers. I just received a masters degree but I want the freedom to do what I love and be able to make up my own schedule . Do you have ideas ?
    I am interested in blogging . I have an Instagram and Facebook but not sure if that is enough for marketing .
    Thank you!

33. Thanks Dale, I’m wondering, how would you encourage someone whose gift, talents and calling are primarily in full time Christian ministry, ie, a pastor/preacher. I don’t want money for getting rich sake, but like you said, the more money you have means a greater capacity to help more people. Thats my heart but I don’t feel as though I have time to start or operate a business without neglecting the things I am called to… that being said, I would love to create more income streams so that I can be self sufficient in ministry and one day even work as an unpaid volunteer for my church instead of taking a wage. Thanks again Dale

• Thats awesome Andrew. Maybe start with a blog. Be consistent with your writing. Once you have a following introduce a product.

34. Nick Parish says:

I have 2 business ideas that could have tremendous impact on people and would love to go into startupcamp. But money and time are serious issues right now. I’m developing both ideas and trying to work out the kinks. I look forward to when I can step into one and see where it takes me.

35. Victoria Zeta Herring says:

Thank You.
    i appreciate your work and your heart.
    you’ve inspired me.. and you’ve warmed my heart to set on changing.

Thank YOU!
    i’m smiling, thanks to you. you’ve literally clarified my confusion
    i have a hunger for knowledge now. THANK YOU!!!

36. Abigail says:

I have the same passions that you have! Wanting to feed starving people, get innocent people and children out of sex slavery, and be a helping hand to the orphan. I look forward to being able to do that in the future. I sure don’t know how to and I am in the place you were once, but I feel like I’m on the right path wanting to help people like you are. The world could use a whole lot more “devoted” people like you. Thank you.

37. Kat Corona Pilgrim says:

You may have written this over a year ago, Dale, but STILL incredibly inspiring and exactly the motivation I needed at this time in my life. Thank you for living so boldly, so authentically and being so driven. It’s inspiring. Best – Kat

38. Danielle says:

Reading this really made me think about my passions. What would Jesus do if he had my set of skills? Thank you, I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.

39. Over the last 7 years I have had three of my four children leave the nest. Now that I only have one left at home, I thought it was time for me to do something “me”. I love being a stay-at-home mom but that part of my life was coming to a close. So what to do? I decided to make a list of what I was good at. Then I asked Jesus to show me where to go. I have a burning, all consuming passion to help people. Help them to feel better. Help them to understand more. Help them to be able to afford the help they so desperately need and want. So, with that list and those passions I created a company. I make all natural health and beauty products people can afford and they WORK! I don’t care about money. I don’t even get a pay check. Those things will come. When they do great. But for now I am happy keeping the fire burning. That passion is what keeps me going. I need to work on something like keeping the passion under control (not letting it affect the family time) and not working 16 hours a day 7 days a week. I want to. But I know I shouldn’t. I have been told by so many people that my prices are to low and I could sell my product for so much more. Yes, I could but then people that really need them can’t afford them. My goal is to serve thousands of people at a lower priced product than 100 people at a higher priced product. I am looking forward to learning how to better myself and my business! Can’t wait for the webinar! Thank you!

40. Very motivational article. Everyone should start a business to help people and make money secondly.

41. Hi Dale, thanks for the information, I love what you’re doing! I started my own business 7 years ago, and my primary focus is always on customer service and making people happy, rather than making money. Having said that, 7 years in, I have very little profit left over when the bills are paid. I want more than this, I want a home based business that will allow me to travel and work from the road, but I have no idea what or how… I’ve looked into becoming a scuba instructor, or an ESL teacher, but neither will make me rich, although I would be able to travel and get paid. I want to put the work in, and the effort, I just don’t know what to do…

• Chase your dreams. Check out enrolling in StartupCamp. It may just give you the push that you’re looking for.

42. Hannah says:

Your article is very good. Thank you for sharing all the steps it would take to become highly successful. The most helpful part is where when you said, something about “what keeps you up at night?” Around those lines of what you were talking about. It makes me think, so thank you.

43. You’re a great example of being your best so you can give your best to others!

44. Taniya Ahmed says:

Hi Dale,
    I loved your video, very inspiring! I’m starting my own business (duh!) However, Id also like to know if you have any recommendations on the best of the best people to learn from when it comes to Import and Exporting business?

45. Thanks for writing an article that is both realistic and encouraging.

My dream is to become a best-selling Author. I want to publish books of poetry and be a known storyteller, who interweaves my knowledge about personal development into art.

The advice of “become the best _____ I know” is practical advice for me. I’m going to do everything I can to become the best writer I know.

46. Kelly Ruan says:

What a great mindset, I love this. To “obsess” over something in order to master it without knowing it. Work ethic, care for others, a life of purpose. Awesome.

47. Joey says:

It’s ironic that I stumbled upon your site, today. I was having a conversation with my wife, earlier this morning, and was venting how frustrated I am because

1) I despise my job
    2) I feel like I’m wasting all of the potential I have and betraying myself for a job
    3) I am struggling to start a web design business, primarily because I’m asking myself, “Should I be doing this? Is this what I’m meant to do?”

My wife is always telling me “slow down”, “enjoy your life”, “stop worrying about money”; however, I don’t know how to do these things. I’ve faced a lot of challenges over the last 12 years, myself, and still haven’t found my “calling”. I default to technology jobs because

1) They pay well
    2) I understand technology really well
    3) I was once passionate

I LOVED the job I had in college (tech support). I would wake up BEYOND excited and ready to go to work. Now, I have to muster up every bit of energy to force myself into the car, drive an hour, and walk into a place the sends me into a deep depression. My boss has done everything in his power to strip me of who I am. Fortunately, he’s leaving in a week, but he’s made my employment over the past 17 months, miserable. Some of it I’ve brought on myself; however, his “leadership” style is abysmal.

I’ve had 5 jobs in 4 years. My wife graduates from college this December. The idea of suffering for another 11 months is overwhelming. Then, I saw an ad for your site on Facebook. I signed up for the webinar, received your email, and that’s how I ended up on this post. The thing that slapped me in the face was your quote, “If Jesus started a company, what would it look like?” When I was in college, I didn’t care about money. I worked because I loved what I did. Ever since I’ve been in the corporate world, this has been a thing of the past. All I focus on is money, to the point that it’s hindering me. Whenever you chase money, you’re going to be miserable; however, I haven’t done much to stop myself.

I honestly think that God speaks to you in times of need. I’ve had a heavy heart and bad attitude, today; then, this happened. Listening to your story was inspiring and refreshing. I really think I need to switch gears and focus on helping people instead of raking in huge sums of money. All I honestly want is time to spend with my family and do work that has meaning. I have the potential, but my compass is broken. Time to get a new one and start over. Thank you for sharing your story.

• Powerful thinking Joey. Your story is far too common. Excited for your future. First seek Him.

48. Amir says:

Hi Dale,

Very inspiring words very well put together! Thanks for that.
    My challenge is more that I do have the drive and can’t wait to start, but don’t have the one good idea I truly believe in…Any tips for me for finding good ideas for my own business?

Cheers,
    Amir

49. You are setting a great example for me Dale. I am 10 years in and am just now starting to get traction in my business. I really believe in the vision God gave me and I believe I can get there if I continue to learn the nuances of business and money. Its really hard when you have a mission mindset that also requires money. I’m finally getting my head around how to balance both.

50. I forgot to say thanks for all your efforts

51. I have read this over and over again and not seem to get enough of it. I am so intrigued with the way you respond to everyone that post a comment. So excited about the free webinar tomorrow .

52. Kelly says:

Hi Dale,
    I really enjoyed this article and I am excited to share it with my husband as we are dreaming about starting our own business. We both share your vision to use what God gives us to help others!

I did want to mention an error in wording in this sentence in your article: “with what you love is more important than make money to make money.”. Should it be ‘making’ money to make money?

-Kelly

53. Angela says:

I am so glad I came across your video. I promise as soon as funds allow me to, I will for sure be joining your camp. I am in the process of starting my own business and I believe what you have to offer is just what I need. Thanks so much!!!

54. King Buari says:

It’s is an amazing piece Dale. Simple and powerful. God bless you for sharing.

55. I am looking forward to learning more. I just got your People Over Profit ordered and can’t wait to start reading and learning. I have not joined the startupcamp yet, but I am going to your webinar in a couple of days. Thanks for putting this information into a plan that helps us get our thoughts together and take steps toward helping more people with the products and companies we pour our hearts into…

• It’s my pleasure, Cate. Hope you enjoy the book and webinar. 🙂

56. Samantha says:

Amazing article, Dale! Thank you for this. I am looking forward to your Webinar tonight 🙂

57. Excellent, motivating read! I’m currently a certified personal trainer aspiring to create a dynamic, ridiculously inspiring new wave for women with a niche in running. It’s not a product…but I suppose I’m the product! As a soul who’s afraid of marketing (fear of coming across as conceited or the like) this is where I truly struggle! I LOVE people like I love Jesus. So there’s no issue there. But, reaching out is a challenge for me. Thank you for all the educational and motivational tools you share. It gives me high hopes that I can do this!

• Awesome. Thanks Jess. Glad you enjoyed it. Keep crushing 🙂

58. While I wouldn’t say I have a deep drive to be a millionaire, I definitely feel driven to be able to make enough doing what I love that I don’t have to work a ‘day job’ that I hate.

I keep coming across your posts… but only since we seriously took a very big, adventurous leap in our lives. I feel like I can relate so much more to your posts since that change than I ever would have before. I guess I feel more ‘open’ to hearing what you have to say now that I’ve partially realized some of these things myself. I guess I needed to let go of my own fears and preconceived notions more than I thought I did (and here I thought I had no preconceived notions! Silly me)

Thank you for writing this. It just pulls together so many of the thoughts and ideas that have been percolating in my brain lately.

59. Katherine Ells says:

1) Love how the beginning was centered on people. It kept my attention to keep reading. 2) As a law student I read hundreds of tough legal opinions a day. This has led me to “skim” all other news/blog related articles. I read every word of this post, without realizing I wasn’t skimming. I think they way you broke it up with text blocks, colors, and numbers, and quotes was key. You clearly have the marketing piece nailed. 3). What I am taking away from this is “Kill the Employee Mentality.” Every successfully person I know, and there have been many, have said a version of this. This phrase struck a string, and I appreciate it. Now to implement!

• Awesome. Thanks Katherine. Not sure if you have read my book People Over Profit, but it sounds like you would enjoy it.

60. Hey Dale — I am an entrepreneur and helping people (and animals) has always been my passion — I am that person who left the ‘real’ world 10 years ago to create a business I love (and have been told by many I am obsessed!). Providing a space and services where people can interact with animals and nature is at the centre of my company – the problem is I have gone into debt trying to live this dream… I have been evolving the past couple of years to include a ‘wellness’ component which I think is timely and on trend (and also a passion of mine as a certified yoga instructor), the problem is, while people love the services we are offering, the margins just aren’t there (I haven’t taken a paycheque for five years — and I cannot continue much longer) .. I need to find product or service within this business that makes enough money so I can continue to help more animals and help provide a space where people can.

• Hey Jana! Love the passion. Money is hard. Don’t give up. The beginning is always hard.

• Tina says:

Jana, maybe you could sell stuffed animals of the animals that you work with, or have a donation bucket where a portion of the proceed would go to helping wildlife. Also, maybe you could write a blog about the day to day situations that you have, and some of the sappy stories that make your day brighter and bring a smile to your face. Hope you are still enjoying your ‘dream job’ : ).

• Tina says:

Jana, another idea is to have a location where the people can buy food for the animals, not sure if that would work in your situation, or have a small ‘coffee bar’ with coffee and water where you could make a small income also. Have a wonderful adventure also!

61. Wow. What a great read. Did you write this entirely to me 🙂 ? This spoke to me. May God bless you. Life is all about building each other up. I too would like to start doing something that I am passionate about . The money should come after the passion. There is luck in giving.

You are awesome.

• Hey Anna! Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, it was just for you 😉

62. Love this post. Paints an accurate light on the life of developing businesses and pursuing your dreams. Really great words Dale.

63. Daniel Meichtry says:

Your approach to Entrepreneurship is so refreshing new and encouraging. Thanks for what you do and the value of add to others lives. Inspired.

64. Craig Meyer says:

Hi Dale. In a world that has sacrificed most things on the altar of money, your post is a breathe of fresh air.

65. Thaizi Aguilar says:

You need to take this work to Brazil . I can help you.

66. Your advice is spot on, going to get it printed and keep it on a wall in my room. Thank you.

• Wow that’s the best compliment I’ve ever gotten! You’re awesome Rynae.

67. Samuel Renling says:

Wow,
    absolutely love this. Super inspiring, thank you.
    I love the “what if i could help a million people” analogy.
    God bless you.
    In the battle.
    Samuel

68. Hey Dale! This is truly inspiring and everything you said in the video really hit home for me. I launched a business in 2015 but I know I need more guidance. I’m interested in becoming a camper but not sure which level would be best for my situation. I’d like to purchase the full professional version but wasn’t sure if it would be applicable since I have already launched the business? Will I get a lot of the tools I need from the basic version? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Hey Jess! So cool you’re thinking of joining us over at StartupCamp. 🙂 You can find all the info you need on pricing and the differences between each package here: http://startupcamp.com/#pricingsection. I would recommend going with the Professional Camper regardless of where you are in your business venture. 🙂

69. muhammad syamil bin sahrom says:

Love it. Your startup camp is the best after all the knowledge i”ve bought this year. Never regret spending my college food allowance on this. Thanks!

70. Jaimie says:

Is there any kind of gaurantee ? I am pretty strapped for money and this is a huge financial risk for me.
    Thank You!

• Unfortunately we can’t do that. It’s a self led program. But I can tell you we are seeing amazing things from ordinary dreamers.

71. Great post. I appreciate all your stuff, Dale. Number 4 stuck out to me. I’ve always wanted to be financially successful but only because of the possibilities it gives. There are some many things I want to create, so many people I want to help, and money is a great tool with which to do that. Thanks for the encouragement!

72. Chelsea Verhel says:

Such a great article and right on point to what I needed today. I have a philosophy to, Live Big to Bless Big. Big is defined differently to many and I havn’t been true to my word lately. I have also passed it on to a few others.

Thanks so much for the great inpsiration!

73. Great article, Dale. Thanks. So good to hear someone influential talking about the power of generosity.

74. Sonia says:

I’ve tried 4 times to enroll in the Startup Camp. I put in my credit card info and then nothing…my card is not charged, no confirmation page. Is there another way to enroll?

75. Ty Pryor says:

Hi Dale

I am so glad to of come across your website today. Truly great content.

I am looking at purchasing your full course and am hoping that the principals outlined in your course are consistent for budding entrepreneurs worldwide and not just US based?

Living in Australia, I imagine the content would be useful for myself, but just curious to know if this would be relevant to international subscribers?

Many thanks and continue what you are doing.

• Hi Ty, thanks for the support. And yes they are. We have almost 10 people enrolled from Australia already. Hope to see you on the inside.

76. This is great advice. I really enjoy reading it. Keep the good work and the blessings will follow. Saludos from Mexico.

77. Sheila says:

I’m curious how much StartUpCamp covers content like start-up costs, lending and securing other financing for your business. My husband and I are on a strict budget. Sadly, the cost of the course at this point in time may even be out of our league but, if the time comes when I can afford it, I’d like to know how much financing I need to have in order to find the content applicable and demonstrable versus putting off the action steps until some money comes in. How much of the course would walk a “camper” through securing the financing necessary to even demonstrate the action steps?

• Hi Shelia,

A TON. We talk about it mostly in module #1 and #2. I have raised over $3m in the last few years so I have some good insight into this process.

78. Stephanie says:

Hello Dale, your information is inspirational and extremely relevant! I am going to direct my son to your website. A few years ago he took over a friend’s lawn service business and has developed it into a real money-maker. Not bad for a 22 year old college student. I like what you say about making money to help others, I have always felt that way. My son has always been a very driven type A personality and I have never doubted that he will be very successful one day. I just want him to want it for all the right reasons.
    Keep up the good work!

Stephanie

• Not bad at all! Sounds like your son’s got the right idea. 🙂

79. Very inspiring read Dale! Are you doing a book tour Dale. Is any city in Florida one of the stops?

80. STACIE CRUZ says:

I’ve always said “Take care of people and the rest will take care of itself” —- my problem is I spent the last 7 years taking care of the wrong person.

I’m breaking away from the industry I somehow ended up in, HVACR, and looking to do something big!!

I’m glad I got Master’s out of the deal…. But the most important leap I’ve made is being saved; just over 2 years ago.

Now that I see the picture grander and much bigger than myself, I want to do God’s work. I want to help people. I have a passion to change my life and show others that they’re never stuck and they should always choose PASSION!

I definitely aim to do something 150% or not at all. I couldn’t do the ‘day-to-day’ anymore or working for someone else (who isn’t a person of faith and doesn’t feel to have anybody but his own interest at heart).

This is going to be phenomenal! I’ll follow your stuff and maybe pop into your camp!

To living for what matters! Thanks for this incredible advice.

Stacie

81. Jesse says:

Your passion, commitment, drive and love of God are an inspiration. I hope for you and yours more success!

82. Stacey S. says:

Hi Dale,

Coming from someone who usually opts-out of most articles this one really struck a cord with me that I read it start to finish. It’s hard not to appreciate such a piece that relates to a variety of people no matter what stage of life you are currently in. Which is part of the reason I was compelled to share it on another channel.

The main reason I’m reaching out, yet another anomaly for me, is to ask you to elaborate on your statement about reaching your goals as an entrepreneur rather than an employee.

Really looking forward to hearing from you!

All The Best,
    Stacey

• Thanks Stacey. As an employee, you usually have a ceiling on how much wealth you can generate. AKA a salary. As an entrepreneur, you have no limits. For example, last year I made almost $600,000. There is not many jobs paying that well especially for someone who only works 30 hours per week.

• Stacey S. says:

Thanks for the feedback, Dale. Those are really good points.

I guess it had never truly felt like an option before. However, the more I thought about it the more apparent it became that it is THE only option. Which is ironic because, I always say the best way to help others is to help yourself.

Looking forward to reading more of your articles and books!

83. Illahi Bux says:

Dale I would say great article which motivated that every body can be good and millionaire …

84. wow! i am in awe…i have been scouring the web looking for answers to my questions for growing my passion. i have found a lot of answers. maybe it’s because our values are similar? maybe we’ve known each other in a past life? whatever it is – you spoke straight to my heart today.
    your words flowed. right into my higher self. in turn i had a few a-ha moments. just by reading your words above. and my spirit calmed. without this all sounding too spiritual and tree-hugging-weird…i was very touched by your words above.

just out of interest sake to statement #1: you ask/write “Be generous. But first, create something of value to give. For me, it was audience. What is it for you?”…Had you not had this bought Facebook page, what would it have been (or is) for you?

with much respect and humbleness. sashka

• Great question. Probably a skill. Maybe becoming a leadership therapist or wrote a book. Something that offered value and brought me closer to an influential community.

85. Rachel says:

You’ve built my favorite company. Love what you’re doing, thank you! Advice or suggested reading for the entrepreneur that’s set on the how’s of business, but is struggling with what the business should be? Or maybe another course is coming? 🙂

• Rachel… You need to enroll in StartupCamp. All your answers are inside. Watch the video and join us. I hope to see you on the other side.

86. Lots a great insight in this article. Looking forward to learning more about the mechanics of finance and legal in next month’s module!

87. Hi Dale! You’re fab, thanks for the amazing content. Also I love following your wife on Pinterest! I’m obsessed with the readability of your sites on my phone and the way the pull quotes work. Care to share any of your tools? Are these features based in your theme or some other add-in or widget? Thanks, buddy!

• Thanks Kelly! Yes they are built into the theme. I typically design all my themes custom too. Glad to have your support. 🙂

88. Marcel Benoit says:

The mentality you teach with the term “People over profit” is a paradigm shift every entrepreneur should adopt. A life lived for myself is insignificant to me. I am totally sold out on seeing millions helped over millions gained.

89. My wife and I just took a step of faith and launched our own design studio, and God has shown up in huge ways so far. Monthly retainers with larger studios, and clients we could only dream of. Thank you for all you’ve done for us, without even knowing it. We hang on your every word!

• Wow… I’m so humbled by your comment, John. So glad to know I am making a difference in even just one person’s life. 🙂

90. Hi Dale,

Another great article on the difference between being a millionaire and what being wealthy means.

You can truly see your passion for life, your family and others.

I live by this quote, “Everyday, be a better version of you.”

Speak soon,

Steven

91. This was a great reminder of what is important and helped to put things into perspective again. At this moment, I do not have any entrepenuerial experience and I’m 28 years old. This is a road that I want to travel and something I continue to contemplate and explore. Thanks for offering your thoughts from further down the road.

• Thanks Miles. Whenever you’re ready to start the StartupCamp program we’re here to teach you.

• Lauren says:

Miles- You’re wrong, you do have experience. You have 28 years of experiences to put toward being an entrepreneur. You just have to figure out which one’s are of value.

• Jacob Widmann says:

So true Lauren! Some awesome support and advice.

92. Jared Akers says:

I’d be interested in knowing some good books to learn more about marketing. Thanks in advance.

93. Kemp says:

Hi Dale, I really appreciate this. I especially thought the light turned on for me when you came to the point where you were like, if Jesus started a business what would it look like, thus focalising on the positive impact such an initiative could have as opposed to an impact driven by other less meaningful motives. Thank you..

94. i love this post, dale.

• Laura says:

It does sound great, however, all these websites seem to sell information. How can you help others and turn a profit with a physical product?

• Look into companies like Tom’s. They are helping people and still selling a physical product.

• Great article!
      I am a seamstress living in the south. All I can think about is how to make more money, so that I’m not always trying to avoid eviction! I just come up empty. I feel trapped in a job that dictates how many hours I can have with them. I enjoy the work, but it’s not enough.
      After reading your article, and realizing it’s not always about the money, I realize there are women in worst situations.
      I thought about going to a local women’s shelter and offer to teach them the skills I have that will at least get them a job.

• Yes, share your gifts, Angela! And in that you might find a path to financial growth as well! 🙂